Sunday, December 13, 2009

Magic of Christmas

I am ever in awe at Christmas time! Yesterday we made the 2 hour journey to the Children's Museum to see Santa! It always amazes me how emotional I can get at the site of the old man coming down the chimney. It was only a few weeks ago that my oldest son told my daughter that Santa wasn't real. How dare he! He told e he didn't but my daughter ratted him out. She was quick to tell me that she didn't believe him. I told her that I didn't either and that I believe in the magic of Santa! Because that is what I believe and I always will. I have my father-in-law to thank for that. From the time my husband and I started dating, I was never able to thank them for gifts because they were form Santa. I always thought it was funny, even after I had kids! Then last year, I realized that I truly believe! My father-in-law took us to the "real" Santa! And he is. It is the real deal. He comes down the chimney, has an elf and Snow Queen and when the kids go to sit on his knee, he calls them over by name! Of course, the queen has already asked them their names, but who cares! They tell him what they want and I take 100 pictures! And after they play in the museum, we have tea and sing carols with him and his elf, while the Snow Queen watches it all from her thrown! at the end, he reads a story and then they sit on his knee again! And at the end of the day, I thank m father-in-law and cry because I know that it is the most magical day I have experienced in a year and think it will be about 365 days until I experience this again and next year it will be all the more difficult to convince my oldest that Santa is real or at least the magic of Santa. Because we all know that you can't appreciate it unless you realize it in your heart and that is more than a 9 year old can comprehend even with Grand-daddy to guide him! But, I am all the more thankful for what I have each Christmas and what I have married into because I know that it has enriched my life and I would never have had these experiences if it weren't for my amazing father-in-law who can't sit still and has the attention span of about 5 minutes. But, he is on of the most caring, thoughtful people I have ever met in my life and thank God we have him in our family!

No comments: