Sunday, June 21, 2009

Marathon Training Begins!

Today is the day! Yes, it is Father's Day, but it is also the day my marathon training begins. My poor husband! At least for his sake I ran less today than on Mother's Day! I am trying to figure out which training program to use and when I am going to fit in the increased level of training required to complete and do well in this marathon. I am 18 weeks out from the start and am overwhelmed by the thought of running it. However, at various times during my half marathon training, I was the same way and look how that turned out (brilliantly). Although, I do need to be more committed and do a better job of sticking to the training program because I can't just run and hang on until the end like I could during the half marathon. So, 5-6 days a week of running begins today. My goal is to complete the marathon in less than 4:30 and be able to go to work the next day. It is interesting to read some Mommy running blogs and talk to various people about training and when they find the time to train. It is just so hard to find the time with work, kids, PTO commitments, church commitments, and trying to give my husband some free time. It is hard. Running is my free time and that is work. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I love to run! But, if you gave me a choice of going out with the girls in the neighborhood or running, I would pick going out. I love my friends too. So balancing it all is difficult and now with this marathon coming up, I have to be even more proficient at balancing my time. So, I will get up early, run late in the day, and try to be the best Mom and wife I can be and go to work and do my job all because running is important to me and to my health. One of the best gifts I can give my kids is a healthy mother and instill a love of having an active lifestyle whether it be running, swimming, soccer, baseball, biking. I just want them to be active and healthy for a lifetime!

No comments: