Thursday, December 4, 2008

Finding Time

Lately I have been thinking about time. I never have enough of it in a day before I fall asleep. Some days are worse than others. This is mainly because I fall asleep nursing the baby shortly after 7:00 p.m. When my husband comes in to wake me, I tell him I am staying in bed. Bless him for putting the other kids down and cleaning up the house each night. Otherwise I could not stay in bed and get the sleep I must need if I am falling asleep at the same time as my 7 month old and before my older children. But, back to the issue of time, there is never enough of it. I have 5,000 things to do around the house; reorganize the kitchen, clean the bathrooms, do the laundry, cook dinner, the list goes on... I want to spend more time with the kids, playing, working on fun learning activities, cooking, or watching T.V. But, I always feel like I have other stuff hanging over my head. Which of course I do since I over-extend myself like you can't believe. I am Marsh Brady. Or at least my husband thinks so. Remember the episode where she signs up for every club there is at school? My favorite was Scuba! He is right. He called me on it today. In a previous post I said I was going to make reindeer cookies with the kids. Well, we didn't make them. I do have all the ingredients though! We made another treat instead. I am already thinking of what I am going to do this weekend. We have breakfast with Santa on Saturday at 9:00 a.m. I then need to go to COSTCO, Giant, and drop off our 7 year old at a friend's house, make Christmas cookies, and at the conclusion of the day, go out with my husband to do the majority of our Christmas shopping. On Sunday, we are taking a trip to see Santa. Not just any Santa this is the #1 helper. My father-in-law visited this Santa as a child and his mother told him that there are a lot of "Santa helpers" but this is the #1 Santa Helper. We are taking our children, meeting my sister-in-law and her family and my father-in-law and mother-in-law, and filling the day with Santa experiences. So that is the weekend. Every minute packed full of activities, but not enough time to get it all done. The best laid plans! And that is the story of my life. There is never enough time. While, I sit here and complain, I realize how lucky I am to be able to complain about this. I am thankful that I do not have more to complain about today. While, I can not get time back, I do realize how precious it is and will continue to work to manage it more effectively, to be able to stop and share an extra minute with my kids and husband everyday. Because that is really why I complain that there is never enough time. I need those extra minutes to enjoy what is most important in my life, the people I love!

No comments: