Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Another Snow Day

I am really trying to keep the kids occupied and out of each others hair. It snow again last night and this morning and the wind is howling outside. My oldest son walked over to a friend's house, literally around the corner and he said his face was stinging on the way there and the way back! It is bitter cold outside! So, for the first time since the "big snow" no one will play outside today! What to do? Make homemade pretzels. We had a good time and my Kitchenaid mixer did a great job of mixing the dough, making this a super easy activity for me! My hubby is downstairs playing Sorry with the older three as I brew a cup of coffee and write this blog post! Then I will make snowmen out of yogurt containers.

Homemade Soft Pretzels

1 pkg. yeast
4 C. flour
1 1/2 C. warm water
1 T. sugar
1 T. salt
1 egg beaten

Mix yeast, water, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Add the flour. Put the dough on wax paper on a table and knead until smooth. Cot off pieces and shape into whatever you like, letters, hearts, etc. Place them on a cookie sheet and brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. You can also use cinnamon sugar, Parmesan cheese, etc. for topping instead of kosher salt.

No comments: